World Heritage International (WHI) is initiating the Polar Bear Action Network (PBAN) as a critical campaigning tool for the global NGO community to promote urgent polar bear public policy progress.
Public policy progress is needed via a CITES Appendix I 'uplisting' of all 19 polar bear subpopulations across the world, that are increasingly under threat from anthropogenic (human driven) causes, including: climate change, persistent organic pollutants, habitat degradation via fossil fuel exploration; trophy hunting and poaching.
Progressing a CITES Appendix I 'uplisting' for polar bears is part of a broader global initiative to apply an effective "precautionary principle" across all environmental issues .
In the interim, until sufficient credible scientific evidence across all 19 polar bear subpopulations is publicly available - at least - an immediate moratorium on all polar bear trophy hunting must be urgently applied by all polar bear states (Canada, Russia, United States, Norway, Denmark-Greenland).
The integration and application of the PP is intended to generate and promote the necessary scientific research, innovation and high-value detailed information on biodiversity for the development and formulation of public policies.
World Heritage International invites NGOs to join Polar Bear Action Network and support the following demands of urgent action from the five polar bear states (Canada, Russia, United States, Norway, Denmark / Greenland):
- apply an immediate moratorium on all trophy hunting across all 19 polar bear subpopulations;
- support CITES Appendix I polar bear 'uplisting' for all 19 polar bear subpopulations;
- integrate and apply the 'precautionary principle' across all and any contemplated actions affecting any of the 19 polar bear subpopulations".
Add your voice to this public campaign initiative (PBAN) by emailing to [email protected] your:
- full NGO name;
- the full name of your NGO representative / NGO title;
- full email address of your NGO representative.
The PBAN is being initiated now - because we will not wait - until it is too late to act.